About Me

My photo
Makeup is my creative distraction from an otherwise hectic life! I'm a busy Mom of 2 and an aspiring makeup artist and everything and anything related to beauty captures my interest. I'll share with you some of my makeup looks and reviews, and also a few bits and pieces from my life. Beauty really is in everyone, you just need a couple of good makeup brushes and a helpful technique to unlock your inner goddess!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review: MAC Prolongwear Foundation and Concealer

Hi Darlings,

To give you a little background I'm a MAC NC42 mixed with NW35.  I did try the Studio Fix Fluid foundation in NC44 but felt that it would oxidize on me and make me end up looking darker than I actually am (I suffer from a slight color complex).  My skin normally starts out normal in the morning and by 11am I can feel an oil slick on my T-zone.  I normally use Neutrogena's combination skin moisturizer after I have already cleansed my face in the morning, but these days I've been using this Indian creme (forgot the name) that doesn't make me shine so much.  I have used primers (oil-free/anti-shine) but didn't see that much of a difference with the Studio Fix Fluid.  After reading several other blogs on the internet I decided to try the highly talked about Prolongwear foundation and concealer.  I happily went to the MAC counter and was matched for NC44, however, I felt the colors ran a bit on the dark side as compared to their other foundations.  Then while reading another blog I decided to mix two colors together, NC42 and NW35 and whala!  This custom creation was just what I needed and I fell in love (for the second time)!


    NW 35                                                                                                          NC 42


















The formula is outstanding!  It really does stay on and keep going and I think the MAC website claims a 15 hour staying power (check the website for accuracy on that), but I have found that it stays on even longer.  I don't even need to apply a powder to my face once I have applied the foundation with a stippling brush! It's true genius!  It looks fabulous at the end of the night just as it does first thing in the morning.  The only catch with this is (and this is a tiny catch for the overall quality and performance of the product) that it dries quickly, so you need to be quick because once its dried its set.


Since the foundation performed so well I decided to give the concealer a go.  I absolutely need concealer under my eyes.  This is something you will hear me rant about time and time again but I have very dark, puffy circles under my eyes.  Being a woman of color and that of Indian descent I have, like others, the raccoon eyes, where it is dark under your eyes and on top of your eyes.  It's bothered me for years and since  my love affair with makeup has begun I have been on the hunt for the perfect under eye concealer.  Ladies, I think I've found it!  MAC Prolongwear concealer in NW35 is a dream come true for me.  You are welcome to use a brush but these days I find that using my ring finger applies a lot easier and just helps it blend much better.  I do set that with powder (Benefit's Powderflage) but just a light dusting is really all you need.  Not to mention the staying power, it looks awesome! 



I promise to put performance pics up with this post.

If you haven't checked these 2 items, and your skin is like mine, I would say run, don't walk, to your nearest MAC counter or store and try these out.  Look, like everything else in life, you won't know unless you try, and with that.....

Sending positive thoughts your way....
CC

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, Cicy! I am going to try these products. Look forward to reading more!!!

    Efe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the MAC pro longwear concealer, but sometimes I feel I want something better/healthier for covering my undereyes. Have you found a treatment/product that could help our raccoon eyes? I heard good things about the treatment concealers by Murad and Clinique but they are mainly meant for blemishes. Also, it is difficult to find my shade in most brands. I have exactly same complexion like you. Let us know if you find something else

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...I think whatever concealer you go with may not be so healthy for the skin under your eyes. I think it's worthwhile to invest in a great under eye treatment/cream. I am really loving the cream from Origins. I forget the exact name but it has Ginseng in the title. This stuff is awesome! I notice that once I put it on my under eye area instantly looks brighter. The little tiny pot has lasted me over a year and im just finishing it up now.

    If you find anything else that's helpful, pass on the info :)

    ReplyDelete